Your Name: Cris Weber @cweberits
Official Job Title: Development Architect
Functional role: Consulting / Internal Product Development
Home town: Grand Rapids, MI
1. Describe what you do for a living – to someone who has no idea what it means.
I lead a team of developers to make our consultants and our managed services more efficient by automating everything I can.
2. What aspect or area of technology are you most excited about?
Where to even start… Azure, Windows 10, EMS and ConfigMgr… I love the new MSFT that moves so fast.
3. What gives you the most satisfaction from your job today?
Either the moment where I’ve been working on a problem for hours and I finally solve it or when I finish a product and show it to our engineers and see how much it helps them.
4. Name the 3 most inspiring people in your life or career?
Troy Whittaker – My manager and mentor.
Jeffrey Snover – PowerShell and…
CGP Grey – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGP_Grey – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humans_Need_Not_Apply
5. What 3 books, movies, or other works, have influenced or inspired you the most?
The phoenix project. I’ve worked at companies that are exactly like that book and it helped me bring some sanity to the company.
Time management for sysadmins. – As a sysadmin I used to be overwhelmed with all the things to do. This book has a good system for helping sysadmins out.
Getting things done – I’m kind of a task management nut. So much so that I wrote my own custom task management app that brings scrum and getting things done together… (Yea… I don’t get out much. I do this in my spare time from 5 am to 6 am.)
6. You just stepped out of a time machine in 1100 AD in London or Rome. You have a smartphone in your hand and you demonstrate some of the apps and games to people around you. What happens next?
All of the apps would fail because they require an internet connection. So I would bring up the camera and take a video. Of course then I’m taken to jail for witchcraft because I have stolen their soul in the magic box. Or at least that’s what they think of the video I took of them… It wouldn’t end well.
7. What new or promising technology do you see that can’t get here soon enough?
I can’t wait until companies fully embrace Windows 10 and Azure AD Join. As my companies subject matter expert on Windows 10 I talk to a lot of companies about Azure AD Join and it’s implications and benefits. But most companies aren’t ready yet. 8. Do you think the continuous evolution of automation will result in there being very few full time human workers? And if so, what do think people will do?
This is actually a topic that terrifies me. Yes I believe that there will be a large section of the population that won’t be employable. Not because they aren’t smart but because the machines can do their job better/cheaper. I think that we will have to move to a universal basic income. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIL_Y9g7Tg0 I watch the youtube video humans need not apply (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU) about once a quarter to remind myself that I need to keep improving so I am not unemployable.
9. There’s never enough time.
10. There’s way too much to learn. I want to know all of the things…
11. What’s something that you wish you could change in your field of work? (Good or bad)
I have encountered many people who don’t believe how windows as a service works or are stuck in their ways because that’s how they have always done things. We are IT Professionals. IT changes and it changes fast. It’s our responsibility to keep up.
12. If you could go back in time to sit down with your younger self at, say, 15 years old, what advise would give yourself?
Dear 15 year old me… Keep working towards your goals. Even if most people don’t understand IT or your passion for it that’s fine. Don’t get discouraged by not being good at school. You’re good at IT and 90% of the things that are happening now don’t matter. So don’t stress so much.
13. You just stepped out of a time machine in 2050 in a major city. What 3 technology gadgets do you see people using around you?
Self driving cars (THANK GOD)
Useful personal assistant AI’s on their phones.
Google glass on steroids and no one blinks an eye at it.
14. You’ve been given the power to bring 2 people back to life from any time in history, for one full day only. Who would they be, and why?
Steve Jobs. I’d love to hear his story and hear what other visions he had but didn’t accomplish before he passed.
Steve Irwin. The amount of passion that he put into his work was very inspiring.
15. What would you like to accomplish in the next 5 years, personal or professional?
I would be like to seen in the community as a thought leader, become a MSFT MVP and overcome my social anxiety to accomplish those two items. There are so many blog posts that I haven’t hit publish on or told others about because of the anxiety of my anxiety around them. But I plan on publishing them this quarter.
Where to find out more about Cris –