UPDATE: I finished up the feature update mentioned at the end of this article in time to post it with build 2016.12.16.01. So the changes to this article are shown below as well.
This might be the first in a series of “how to” articles relating to CMWT. Some features are a bit obfuscated by the UI, causing some to inquire if they exist, and if so, where. I admit, I need to do a better job of highlighting what’s in this free “product” and what’s on the road ahead. I say “might be” because it will ultimately depend on responses, so I’ll try to avoid pushing something that’s unwanted, or of little interest.
First off, CMWT only allows adding members to, copying members into, or moving members into, direct-rule collections. Query-based collections are filtered from allowing this because I was taught from the age of 5 never to directly add resources to SCCM collections which have a query attached. Yes, in 1970. I had no idea what they were talking about, so I thought they meant G.I. Joe had a secret SCCM mission pack and I needed to cut more lawns to save up for it. But I digress.
There are several processes for dealing with Collection membership changes. From the Devices and from the Collections, each has it’s own advantages.
Adding Computers to a Collection – Method 1
This method involves opening the Collection and adding members to it.
- From the main sidebar menu, click Assets
- Click Device Collections
- (optional) Click the “Direct Membership” filter
- If you don’t see the Collection, try clicking “All“
- Click on the CollectionID link for the desired Collection
- From the Collection details page, click the “Members” tab at top
- At the bottom is a listbox which will display a list of all devices which are not already members of this Collection.
- Select the Devices to add (hold CTRL or SHIFT to select multiple names)
- Click Add
- When processing is complete, you will see a results report. Click Continue.
Removing Members – Method 1
- To Remove members, go to the Members tab, and click the [X] links beside each member to remove.
Adding Computers to a Collection – Method 2 (Updated)
This method involves viewing the Devices report and selecting multiple devices to add to a selected Collection.
- From the Assets page, click Devices
- Click All
- Check the boxes for each Device you wish to add to a Collection. (Note that checkboxes are only displayed if the device is a managed client)
- At the bottom, click the drop-down list and choose the Collections. To select multiple, hold the CTRL or SHIFT key while clicking.
- Click Add Members
- Review the results report after processing is completed.
Review the results after processing to see which devices were added, and which were not (and why)…
Copying and Moving Members between Collections
This feature allows bi-directional operations on one or both sets of Collection members. You can move or copy members from one to the other, or remove members from either (or both) as well. For example, you can copy three (3) members from Collection 1 to Collection 2, and move two (2) members from Collection 2 to Collection 1, in the same operation.
- From the Assets page, click Collection Tools
- Select the Source and Target Collections
- Select the members to manipulate within the Source Collection
- Select the members to manipulate within the Target Collection
- Choose the desired Operation for Source and Target Collections
- Tip: To see what would happen, without actually making changes, check the “Test-Run” option.
- Click Execute!
Let me know if you find this article (and the CMWT features) useful? Post comments here to let me know?
There are many MANY more features buried in this application, and best of all (for you anyway), is that it’s Free!