Yes, I know this is dumb as hell and most SCCM folks know this already, but for those who find this useful, here goes. This is for use on a Configuration Manager site system server which has smsexec running on it.
- If you don’t already have Sysinternals’ BGINFO.exe, download it here.
- Unpack it and save it somewhere on the local system. I prefer deploying it via Group Policy, but that’s explained over here.
- Open it up (double-click, right-click, top-click, bottom-click, scream at it, whatever)
- Customize the list by highlighting entries you don’t want, and press DEL to remove them, or add missing entries from the “fields” selection list.
- Click the “Custom” button (see image 1)
- Click “New”
- Select “Version information for a file”
- Change the “Identifier” to “SCCM Version” or whatever you prefer. (see image 2)
- Click Browse
- Navigate to the ConfigMgr installation folder, under bin\<cpu-platform> and select smsexec.exe. Click OK
- Click OK again
- Back in the BGInfo form, scroll down the “Fields” list to find your new entry, and click “<- Add”
- Modify the formatting as desired. (see image 3)
- Click Apply
- Click File / Save As
- Save the configuration to a .bgi file for reuse
Now, even as Configuration Manager is upgraded, the version will automatically update as well.
Note: The custom entry is reusable on other site system servers, as long as Configuration Manager is installed in the same path/location.